Before showing you the best places to get on hold music that your business or call center needs, let’s dive in the differences between the music licenses and you’ll get a better understanding of your needs:
So, what’s the main difference between copyrighted music and royalty-free music?
Well, the difference is in the price and ease of use.
While you are able to use a song by Madonna or Coldplay in a waiting tone, any company has to get permission from the author and pay a certain amount of money -usually high- to the P.R.O. (Performing Rights Organization), which is an agency that ensures songwriters and publishers are paid for the use of their music by collecting royalties on behalf of the rights owner.
Instead, to be able to use a royalty-free song you simply have to pay the very affordable price of a single license.
That being clear, we have two options:
- To contact a studio that makes your tailored on hold tone.
- To buy a royalty-free on hold tone and install it ourselves.
Buy a Tailored On Hold Tone
If we have some budget, this is by far the best option.
Not only they will create for us just a melody to wait, but also nice on hold messages, out of hours messaging, call menu options and voicemail. They also take care of every part of the process for you, from creation to installation.
- Onholdstudio (UK) They provide almost any service that we could need in this matter: welcome messages, voicemail, out of hours messages, voiceovers, call menu options… and they do it very professionally. Worth the price.
- Easyonhold (USA) They also provide a magnificent service, with many many options available with different pricing plans. You can ask for a free DEMO for your company and it will be ready in 3 days.
- Transmedia (USA & Canada) Consultation, scriptwriting, production and delivery are included. You can hear some actual samples in their website.
When adding a custom message to the background music, be aware to align them properly to target your customers, as explained in depth in this other article.
Buy royalty-free ringback tones
If you want to acquire a royalty-free song to use as hold on tone on the phone of your business, we have several options available:
- AudioJungle: Easiest option. In this marketplace, you can browse and find the songs you need from over half a million pieces of music, some of a quality that has nothing to envy to the great artists. Standard licenses start from $19, but if your company is multinational and operates worldwide we recommend to check all the available licenses. Once purchased the license, you can download the song and use it as on hold music without any problem.
- Jamendo: The cost for a waiting tone is €49 (unlimited use) and, apart from that, you can purchase a special license in which many songs are included, under a monthly payment.
Once purchased the license and downloaded the song -or songs- you can install them yourself in the business phone or ask your telephone company to help you in the process.
My company is a startup or is newly established and we have no budget for hold on tones
Usually, these songs have a specific creative commons license which serves only for non-commercial use.
If they are available for commercial use, you will have to attribute its author, and that means to put his/her name somewhere and it will not be very professional from your side.
A viable alternative could then be to make your own original songs with any software or make your own cover of a song that has more than 90 years old, as by law they are no longer under copyright.